Used. Very Good Condition.
A treasured resource, this book empowers parents by arming them with the knowledge, expert guidance, and confidence they need to ensure that their child with ADHD receives the best care possible. Dr. Barkley explains what the latest research reveals about the nature of ADHD, its causes, and the most effective treatment strategies. Described are the problems that children with the disorder typically face as they grow from toddlerhood through adolescence, and associated challenges facing the whole family. Drawing on decades of influential clinical work and research, the book provides concrete suggestions for improving children's behavior and school performance, enhancing their self-esteem, and restoring harmony to the home.
Praise for the original edition: "Russell Barkley, considered one of the leading authorities on attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), provides a clear and well-written guide that encourages, exhorts, and inspires parents. This book features pioneering research that provides new insight into preventing ADHD from becoming a major obstacle in a child's (and parent's) life."
-Intervention in School and Clinic
"This is not just another book. This is a great book....Although aimed at parents, [it] has something for everyone involved with ADHD kids: teachers, psychologists, doctors, and family."
"A solid resource guide for parents."
"This is the most up-to-date story on our understanding of ADHD and its practical management. The readable reviews would inform most therapists. But most important, Dr. Barkley shows parents the way toward a positive approach to the problem, from which the whole family will find help."
-Judith L. Rapoport, MD, author of The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing
"Dr. Barkley, a master in the field, has written a superb book for parents and all others interested in ADHD....Thank you, Russell Barkley, for this book and all your pioneering work."
-Edward M. Hallowell, MD, coauthor of Driven to Distraction
Introduction: A Guiding Philosophy for Parents of Children with ADHD
Medications for ADHD
- Understanding ADHD
- What Is Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?
- What's Really Wrong with My Child?: Poor Self-Control
- What Causes ADHD?
- What to Expect: The Nature of the Disorder
- The Family Context of a Child with ADHD
- Taking Charge: How to Be a Successful Executive Parent
- Deciding to Have Your Child Evaluated for ADHD
- Preparing for the Evaluation
- Coping with the Diagnosis of ADHD
- Fourteen Guiding Principles for Raising a Child with ADHD
- Just for Parents: How to Take Care of Yourself
- Eight Steps to Better Behavior
- Taking Charge at Home: The Art of Problem Solving
- How to Help Your Child with Peer Problems
- Getting through Adolescence, with Arthur L. Robin
- Off to School on the Right Foot: Managing Your Child's Education, with Linda J. Pfiffner
- Enhancing Education at School and at Home: Methods for Success from Kindergarten through Grade
- Keeping School Performance in Perspective
- The Stimulants, with George J. DuPaul and Daniel Connor
- Other Medicines for ADHD
Support Services for Parents
Suggested Reading and Videotapes