The T.O.V.A. is an objective, neurophysiological measure of attention, not a subjective rating of behavior. It is a 21.6 minute long, very simple "computer game" that measures your responses to either visual or auditory stimuli. These measurements are then compared to the measurements of a group of people without attention disorders who took the T.O.V.A.
The T.O.V.A. uses geometric stimuli (to minimize the effects of cultural differences and learning problems), and contains two test conditions: target infrequent and target frequent. In the first half of the test (the target infrequent half), the target:nontarget ratio is 1:3.5, i.e.: a target is presented (randomly) only once every 3.5 nontarget presentations. In this half which is similar to most of the other Continuous Performance Tests (CPTs), the task is boring and fatiguing, and the subject must pay close attention to respond to the infrequent target correctly. When a subject does not respond to the target, it is called an error of omission and is a measure of inattention. In the second half of the test (target frequent half), the target:nontarget ratio is 3.5:1, i.e: 3.5 targets are presented for every 1 nontarget. In this half of the test, the subject expects to respond most of the time but occasionally must inhibit the tendency to respond.
When a subject responds to the nontarget, it is called an error of commission and is a measure of impulsivity. Thus the ability to pay attention to a boring, repetitive task is best measured in the first half of the T.O.V.A. while the ability to inhibit oneself is best measured in the second half.
- USB port required (not on an external hub)
- Internet connection recommended
- External monitor recommended for laptops with resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels or better
- Windows: XP (32-bit, SP2 or above), Vista (all versions), or 7 (all versions), New Windows 8 system requirements may prevent systems from booting the PTE automatically or at all
- Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.2 and higher
- MacBook Air users must have an external optical drive to use the Precision Test Environment (PTE)
- Linux 2.6.13 or newer (Note: Linux installations are only partially supported; please inquire for more information)
Note: Most "netbook" and many "ultraportable" laptops do not meet the screen size and resolution requirements and thus will not work with the PTE.
We don't recommend Toshiba Satellite or Satellite Pro laptops because of their often incompatible designs.
Each T.O.V.A. Kit includes
- visual and auditory T.O.V.A. tests
- T.O.V.A. USB Hardware
- User's Manual
- Installation CD
- 5 free test credits Additional per test credits are $15.00 each.
Note:This is a b-level product. Sale of this product is restricted to qualified purchasers in accordance with the ethical and professional standards of the American Psychological Association and the Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing. Purchasers must establish a qualification level with ADD WareHouse. Qualification forms submitted by 4 PM will be processed that business day and notification will be sent by email. Forms submitted after 4 PM will be processed the next business day.
You can complete the Online Qualification Form Online and send it with your first order or fax a downloaded form to (954) 792-8545. Download a Qualification Form