About the Author
|Dr. Thomas Phelan is an internationally renowned expert and lecturer on parenting and Attention Deficit Disorder. A registered PhD clinical psychologist, he appears frequently on radio and television and has been engaged in private practice since 1972.
Dr. Phelan received his doctorate from Loyola University in Chicago in 1970. He is a member of the American Psychological Association and the Illinois Psychological Association. The father of an ADD child, he has also served on the boards of directors for ADDA and CHADD, two national organizations for parents of children with ADD.
Sarah Jane Schonour is a National Board Certified Teacher with more than twenty-five years of experience in the field of education. She received her undergraduate degree from the College of William and Mary and her master's degree from George Washington University.
Many teachers receive little or no formal training in classroom discipline and classroom management. Yet experienced educators will tell you it only takes a few unruly students to ruin a whole year. Based on the best-selling and extremely popular 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12, 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom explains in straightforward language exactly how teachers can establish and maintain reasonable control of their classrooms.
Teachers will learn:
- An extremely simple method for eliminating disruptive behavior
- How to encourage and reinforce courteous classroom behavior and constructive work habits
- How to understand the effects of your personality on your teaching
- How to effectively manage transition times
- Successful methods for handling assemblies, playground, lunchtime, fieldtrips and cleanup
- Why many self-esteem programs are unrealistic and unhelpful
- The 10 things you do not want to know about self-esteem
- How to communicate productively with parents
1-2-3 Magic for Teachers takes the guesswork out of classroom discipline. This enlightening program will provide teachers not only uninterrupted instructional flow, but also with peace of mind.
Dr. Phelan presents the material with depth, humor and personal interest...I will recommend it to all my patients.
J.O. Gross, M.D., Hammond Clinic Pediatrics - Munster, IN